It’s that time again. Here are my tops for this year so far…
1. Father John Misty – I Love you, Honeybear
2. Viet Cong – Viet Cong
3. Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit
4. Houndmouth – Little Neon Limelight
5. Other Lives – Rituals
The new MMJ albums is pretty decent, didn’t like MM, still need to listen to SS.
1. The Mountain Goats – Beat The Champ
2. The Tallest Man on Earth – Dark Bird Is Home
3. The Decemberists – What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World
4. Steven Wilson – Hand. Cannot. Erase
5. Mount Eerie – Sauna
Not much else to say about these, nothing has really wowed me. At least the new Tallest Man on Earth got me interested enough to listen to his back catalog, which has been on steady rotation here for the past couple weeks or so. Part of me wants to add Sun Kil Moon to the list, because it features some of my favourite moments of the musical year, but it also has some of the most grating ones as well. At least nothing’s as bad as MM’s “Pistol”. I agree about MMJ, it was alright. Sufjan sounded really good at first, but I tired of it very quickly.
I’m looking forward to finding out where the new Kurt Vile album is going to rank.
1. Sufjan Stevens “Carrie & Lowell”
2. Sleater-Kinney “No Cities To Love”
3. Belle & Sebastian “Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance” (My love for this band never dies.)
4. Jamie XX “In Colour”
5. Kendrick Lamar “To Pimp A Butterfly”
6. Courtney Barnett “Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit”
7. The Decemberists “What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World”
8. Waxahatchee “Ivy Tripp”
9. Colleen Green “I Want To Grow Up”
I need more spins on the No Joy record for it to make the list, I just got this week.