Home Forums The National The Band 2016 song titles vs. official 2017 official titles

• Author
    judgesmails
    judgesmails
    Participant

I love that The National extensively road test new songs, generally using titles that are different from the final version. I did my best to compile a list of songs that were played live using different titles in 2016, vs. their official “Sleep Well Beast” titles. I only found one song that seems to have disappeared rather than making the final album, similar to “Rylan” from a zillion years ago. If anyone knows of other new songs that were played live under other titles, and especially songs that seem to be excluded from the current album, please let me know, as I’d love to track down a recording!

Walk It Back – formerly known as Checking Out of a Collapsing Space and/or Roman Candle
    I’ll Still Destroy You – formerly known as The Lights and/or Kingston
    Empire Line – formerly known as Find a Way and/or Iris
    Dark Side of the Gym – formerly known as Keep You and/or Prom Song (13th Century)
    Not included on the new record? > Sometimes I Don’t Think aka Hague Blue

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by judgesmails judgesmails.
    LogicalHarm
    LogicalHarm

I have nothing to add really – apart from I love this thread. It makes me really nostalgic and reminds me of whiteboards and trying to figure out what is what.

I don’t even know what any of the songs are – I haven’t heard anything of yet (!) – wasn’t Roman Candle a pretty old song though?

judgesmails
    judgesmails
    Participant

Yes! I remember members of this board trying to figure out some of the whiteboard song titles from an earlier album, probably “High Violet”. Those were fun times.

cpatrickdood
    cpatrickdood
    Participant

Oh. I miss whiteboard times!!!

I’ve only heard “The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness” so far (and was treated to the debut of “Roman Candle” (now “Walk It Back”) way back at the Troubadour in October 2015 when they debuted it live).

This’ll be the least spoiled I’ve been for a new The National album since I first heard Boxer. Pretty psyched!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ntl-barn